1-Header1-Header-1-11-Header-1-21-Header-1-31-Header-1-41-Header-1-51-Header-1-61-Header-1-71-Header-1-81-Header-1-9

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Zumba: A First Timer's Impression

Pic from: Zumba Wikipedia Page

Well folks, I did it: I went to my first Zumba class last night. I'm only like a couple years late on the trend. I may have been turned off the odd 90's clothing (Can someone explain that to me?) and the whole dancing in public aspect of it but but I'm broadening my horizons and attempting to get fit/lose weight. I actually like dancing (in a erratic jumping around in my living room while no one is home type way) so I was intrigued to give it a try.

Here are my thoughts on how the class went:
  • I didn't know they didn't teach you the steps...you just kind of have to watch and figure it out. This wasn't so bad though. I managed to do most of it except 1-2 moves in which I couldn't do whatsoever. 
  • I liked how the lights were dimmed. I don't think I would have nearly liked the class as much if they were bright.
  • The music was fun. Some of it was popular songs that were remixed to match the Zumba tone of things.
  • The hour went by REALLY fast. I couldn't believe it went by so fast.
  • Not everyone was young and fit. I really liked this aspect. I was a little worried at first, but there was a girl much larger than me breakin' in down. She absolutely rocked. I could not have kept up her level of intensity for that long and she totally danced like no one was watching. She was also barefoot which was interesting. There was also an old lady next to me who wasn't as intense which made me feel better as well because I if I felt like I needed a little break I wouldn't be the slowest person in the class. (I know, I know...it's not a contest to be the thinnest or most fit...we're all there for the same goal...blah blah blah. I really just don't want to embarrass myself and be the lamest person there. Yea, I said it and I don't care.)
  • As you know, I'm calculating my steps every day and I did like 6500 in one hour. Freaking awesome!
  • It was a lot of fun!
Pic from: Here

My tips for beginners on their first class:
  • Bring water!
  • Bring a towel! You will sweat!
  • Try to get a spot toward the back if you're reserved like I am. I was right by the wall and it was nice to keep my water and towel right behind me alongside the wall to grab between songs.
  • Look around. I watched the instructor pretty much the whole time in the beginning. I was catching on to the moves alright but then a girl showed up late and was in front of me and it was much easier to follow her than the instructor. The instructor did alot of salsa mini step type steps and moved her hips alot. While it looks good for her and all, it made everything look a lot more complicated. I watched the girl in front of me who seemed to know all the moves and she did them much more cleanly than the instructor. Much easier for me to follow. (I just hope she didn't notice and think I was weird for staring at her the whole time. Haha.)
  • Come to class a couple minutes early and talk to people. I asked the girl next to me when I showed up if she'd ever done Zumba before and it was actually her first class too. It made me feel much more comfortable knowing I wasn't the only one who didn't have a clue what was going on.
I'm definitely going to go again. Tonight in fact!  Such a great fun way to burn calories I think I'll be adding it to my fitness arsenal.

What activities do you like to do to keep active?

- Mrs. 246

2 comments:

  1. So cool! Congrats on going, and I'm glad you liked it! I have been interested in Zumba forever, but have never managed to make it to a class. Maybe after the baby comes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recommend it! I just went to my third class tonight and it was a BLAST!

      Delete